Pakistan Hospital Bomb Attack Kills 42 In Quetta

Posted on

Many of the casualties were said to be lawyers and journalists
Many of the casualties were said to be lawyers and journalists

A bomb blast has killed 42 people at a hospital in the city of Quetta in south-west Pakistan, police say.

Dozens of people were injured in the attack, which happened at the entrance to the emergency department where the body of a prominent lawyer shot dead earlier on Monday was being brought.

The casualties included lawyers and journalists accompanying the body of Bilal Anwar Kasi.

Gunfire followed the explosion. It was not clear who the attackers were.

Pakistani police have said they suspect the bomb was detonated by a suicide attacker.

Mr Kasi, who was president of the Balochistan Bar Association, had been shot while on his way to the main court complex in Quetta, local news outlet Geo TV reported.

Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the attacks. “No-one will be allowed to disturb the peace of the province,” he said.

“The people, policy and security forces in Balochistan have given sacrifices for the country.”

The Chief Minister of Balochistan, Sanaullah Zehri, said those injured should be given the best medical treatment and facilities available

A bomb blast has killed 42 people at a hospital in the city of Quetta in south-west Pakistan, police say.

Dozens of people were injured in the attack, which happened at the entrance to the emergency department where the body of a prominent lawyer shot dead earlier on Monday was being brought.

The casualties included lawyers and journalists accompanying the body of Bilal Anwar Kasi.

Gunfire followed the explosion. It was not clear who the attackers were.

Pakistani police have said they suspect the bomb was detonated by a suicide attacker.

Mr Kasi, who was president of the Balochistan Bar Association, had been shot while on his way to the main court complex in Quetta, local news outlet Geo TV reported.

Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif condemned the attacks. “No-one will be allowed to disturb the peace of the province,” he said.

“The people, policy and security forces in Balochistan have given sacrifices for the country.”

The Chief Minister of Balochistan, Sanaullah Zehri, said those injured should be given the best medical treatment and facilities available.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s